Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Zippy Bags and Sexy Hexy Quilt

I bought some fabric as a Christmas gift for myself about 2 years ago now. I was too afraid to use it because it was more expensive and therefore special. I saw a quilt idea in one of the many quilting books I have checked out from the library and decided that is what I wanted to use the fabric for, a queen-sized quilt for our bed. I also decided I wanted a fluffier quilt to be used in the colder parts of the year (ie, SF Bay Area  52 degrees instead of 62 degrees). So here she is:


I had a fun time making these blocks because they are almost all different. The only duplicates are ones that I liked enough to duplicate. There are probably about 30 different fabrics in this, some are from Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably. I also want to note here for my future reference that I used Hobbs Cloud Loft. I liked the loft and it was fine to work with. Though, obviously it is a little harder to run a thicker quilt sandwich through your machine.


Backing fabric by Brandon Mably. I kind of liked my shadow in this picture for some reason.

Bottom corner right block is my favorite for some reason

The next thing is some zipper pouches I made for gifts recently:

I made my dad a little zipper pouch as part of his birthday gift. He really likes Futurama, so....more fun embroidery! I really enjoy embroidering cartoon characters while sitting in church or on a plane.

Why not Zoidberg?
 Other awesome things about this pouch:
1. they sell packs of zippers at the Japanese dollar store at the mall
2. The fun rainbow thread I used for quilting was on clearance for 99 cents at Joanns!
If you don't like it, you can kiss my shiny, metal....


Inside the pouch...
The other pouch I made was for a girl in the Sunday School class we teach at church. She was aging out of our class, so I decided to make her something. Also, because I like her.

I also filled it with random things I found around our house that I maybe a 12-year-old would like:
1. Some nerds I took from our candy bowl at work
2. Some Japanese cutesy tissues
3. Some fruit snacks from our pantry
4. A Hello Kitty eye mask that I somehow had

Strangely (or not strangely?) enough, she seemed to like the eye mask the best.
Her name is Kai, those aren't just random letters...


2 comments:

  1. You are so talented! That's a gorgeous quilt and those zipper bags are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I really like those zipper bags. I might be needing to commission you to make some for me for some toys with small parts that I am hating just being strewn about. Whats your going rate?

    ReplyDelete