Thursday, March 28, 2013

Not your average baby quilt

So this post is for a quilt I made for my former college roomie Taylor, who is pretty close to popping out a baby last I heard. She is having a girl which is good, because truth be told, it is easier to make a girl quilt. This is because about half the fabrics out there are floral and it is hard to make floral not seem a bit girly. BUT, when I heard Taylor was having a baby and started thinking about a quilt I knew I didn't want to do something traditional baby-ish (if you know Taylor you would probably agree). By this I mean overly baby pink or princess-themed or something. To show an example of what I mean, I just now googled "ugly baby girl quilt," and this is my favorite result:
So you can see that I did not want to make something that would devour her child  while she slept.
Luckily, it seemed like Taylor and I were on the same page, because I asked her if she had any color preferences, and she said she is decorating the room with "Black/White, Gray, Red, Yellow and Turquoise/Teal." Definitely not your traditional baby girl colors. I took her quite literally and this is what I came up with:



I used all solids except for a few red pieces that have little white flowers - some vintage fabric I found in a bin somewhere (a bin of fabric for sale, not a trash bin). If you are familiar with kaleidoscope quilts (google it) you will notice that the design in the middle is made up of nine kaleidoscope blocks, I just chose specific colors to create the design. You can see my other kaleidoscope quilt that looks quite different. For the backing I found a perfect matching floral print. It had teal, red, white, and gray; really perfect.


I had a fun time coming up with the quilting design on this one. I like baby quilts for experimenting because they are smaller and more manageable on my machine. I decided to try to highlight the design in the middle by outlining it with closely spaced lines and I also made some diamond designs in the gray fabric. I do like the little star I did in the center.




Decent job hiding the ugly 80's apartment building in the background (my apartment building)
 All in all, I am very satisfied with the end result! It is fun experimenting with kaleidoscope quilts because I enjoy making them and they are pretty versatile in terms of the design.

3 comments:

  1. I love the last picture! The grey really makes the color pop. Also love the diamond border stitching. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thing is tiiiight! You are so skilled lady. Get it girrrrrl! baby Tay tay is going to love barfing all over this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT SO MUCH! I'm trying to decide if I want to hang it on the baby's wall or use it all the time. I feel like it's almost too pretty to let the baby barf on.... Thank you, Erica! You're the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete