Tuesday, August 14, 2012



My latest project in-progress is a kind of scrap-mosaic quilt. I realized I have a lot of fabric I haven't used and was liking the idea of something more scrappy. So I got the idea of creating a background image on the quilt using half-square triangles with one half black or grey and one half a scrap. (That sentence will hopefully make more sense once you look at the picture).

My sketch is below:

Thank goodness for AutoCAD

So the background image is just an abstract swirl. I think it kind of looks like the bottom half of a mermaid. I was brainstorming other images to do, and I drew a pretty spiffy Abraham Lincoln, but I couldn't convince myself that anyone else besides me would be amused by it.

Do I not amuse you?

I also thought about a bird on a branch and a spherical shape. However, in the end I went back to my original concept. I hope I am satisfied in the end.

Here it is on my wall, minus the top eight rows:
It is quite fun rearranging the squares
Shown below is the portion I have sewn so far. Boy are there a lot of seams....the finished size of each square is 1.75", so that is pretty darn small. I used the shortcut method of sewing each half square triangle in which two sandwiched square pieces of fabric are sewn together on the diagonal and then cut apart to create two identical half-square triangles. A handy-dandy explanation of the method is described here.




2 comments:

  1. i'm really disappointed that you failed to recognize that I would be amused by Good Ol' honest abe. I would buy a quilt like that off the internets foo. Good work on this quilt, I would have quit after cutting like 5 tiny squares out.

    ReplyDelete